Recommended Food & Wine Tours in Florence
When it comes to food and wine tours, Tuscany is one of the best places to visit in the world. That said, with the number of tours available, selecting one that suits all of your needs can be challenging. That’s why we created a list of the top 5 food and wine tours in Florence below.
- Florence: Private Food and Wine Tour with Guide (3 hours) – Highly recommended!
- Florence: 3-Hour Private Wine Tour (3 hours)
- From Florence: Carmignano Half-Day Wine and Food Tour (1 day)
- Tuscany Wine Tour from Florence (7 hours)
- Tuscany: Full-Day Small Group Wine & Food Tour from Florence (8 hours)
Travel Tips for Eating in Florence
Eating in a foreign place can be a pretty alien experience. But, with the right tips and insight, dining in a foreign destination is both delicious and enjoyable. With that in mind, we put together a few of the best travel tips for eating in Florence.
- Travel to and from breakfast, lunch, or dinner, by foot – For the best all-around experience eating in Florence, traveling to, arriving, and departing via foot is a must-do. Unless you’re headed somewhere outside of the city-limits, practically any restaurant or pub can be reached in under 20 minutes (much less most of the time). And, walking allows you to soak up the Italian splendor of Florence. These few moments will allow you to take in the fresh air, enjoy the moment more, and create memories.
- Make reservations for fine dining restaurants – It may seem like common sense, but you might be surprised how many people forget to make reservations for special occasions. If you plan on popping the question or to celebrate a birthday, remember to make reservations with a restaurant in advance. It may seem like there is an abundance of eateries to choose from (which there are), but there is no guarantee that a table will be available. Don’t let your special night be ruined by forgetting this one crucial step.
- Plan travel arrangements for reservations in advance – In Florence, much of your traveling will be done by public transit, which can be done self-service style via kiosks. You can also pre-book tickets online too. At any rate, having tickets on hand will save you a ton of time, money, and stress. Also, if you do happen to buy online, make sure to validate your ticket before you head out otherwise they may not be accepted. You don’t want to have to buy a second set of tickets on the spot or chance missing your ride!
- Cross the river for more eats and treats – Many tourists to Florence end up lodging where the majority of the action is (imagine that!). However, crossing the river into the Santo Spirito and San Niccolo areas are full of shops, restaurants, and pubs off the beaten path. So, if you really want to get some authentic Italian food, and avoid the largest crowds, head across the river for more hot Italian eats and cool treats. Ice cream shops, cafes, pubs, novelty shops and more are just waiting to help you put something tasty in your mouth.
- Prepare for late dinners – If you’re new to the Italian scene, you should be aware that Italians tend to eat dinner late. That means restaurants, cafes, and pubs, tend to serve late dinners as well. If you want to get the full Italian experience out of your stay in Florence, try a late-night dinner surrounded by locals at one of the city’s best eateries. Cheese, cured beats, and other snacks are often available in between lunch and dinner times, so if you want to go for a drink, try to do so between dinner and lunch.
- Visit a rooftop bar for a bite and a view – Last but not least, one of the greatest tips for those wanting to experience the most of out there restaurant selections is to visit at least one rooftop bar. And, with so many to choose from, it shouldn’t be that hard to accomplish. At any rate, these terraces give the most terrific views in the whole city. Full restaurant menus are available at some of these rooftop bars, others only offer drinks and snacks. So, choose wisely!
The 15 Best Restaurants in Florence
Curious what Florence has to offer in regards to restaurants? We looked at prices, reviews, location, and more and then put together a detailed list of all the best options for you to choose from.
Here are the best restaurant options in Florence:
1. GUSTARIUM • dei Cimatori • $
If it’s authentic Italian pizza that you’re after, GUSTARIUM in dei Cimatori is one of the highest-rated by tourists. The place is known to stay packed out, even if it’s somewhat hard to spot if you’ve never been before (located in an alley). However, the prices are great, the staff is friendly, and the food is fresh, uses fresh ingredients daily, and the wine is top-notch as well. For a locally owned Italian establishment, GUSTARIUM is known for treating tourists from abroad with the utmost respect.
Tel: +39 055 283469 • View on Map
2. La Buchetta Food & Wine Restaurant • dei Benci • $$
When it comes to steak, wine, and excellent Italian dining, La Buchetta Food & Wine Restaurant is one stop you don’t want to miss. A helpful and attentive staff, a full menu with an excellent selection, and talented cooks, not too mention the amazing wine selection, makes this food joint one of the best in Florence. The place stays busy, the service is good, and the food is most definitely tasty.
Tel: +39 055 217833 • View on Map
3. Trattoria Cammillo • Borgo S. Jacopo • $$
Ambiance, delicious food, and knowledgeable and caring staff make Trattoria Cammillo an excellent choice for a romantic date. That said, a quick lunch for two here can be just as enjoyable. The standards of the kitchen are high, the menu choices are diverse, and the seating is comfy as well. If you plan to eat here, you may need to make reservations in advance to ensure a table.
Tel: +39 055 212427 • View on Map
4. Vini e Vecchi Sapori • dei Magazzini • $$
Pasta, desserts, meats and more are awaiting you at Vini e Vecchi Sapori, one of the most recommended places to eat in the entire city. Spaghetti, duck ragu, codfish, you name it, they make it. And, it will make your mouth water. The menu is packed with options and the eating is comfortable with a friendly and authentic atmosphere about it. They are known for their extraordinary service.
Tel: +39 055 293045 • View on Map
5. Osteria dell’Enoteca • Romana • $$
If you happen to find yourself on Romana, in Florence, look for a sign reading “Osteria dell’Enoteca.” This little place strays away from the typical local cuisine, but it is well worth the try. That said, you will also pay for the high-end food you’ll get here, as well as the classy atmosphere. Osteria dell’Enoteca is a great fine dining selection to mark some sort of special occasion (or just because!).
Tel: +39 055 228 6018 • View on Map
6. i’covo de’ ghiotti • dei Cimatori • $
In regards to excellent quality food at a bargain of a price, i’covo de’ ghiotti is a treasure to behold. The ratings are high and the food is supposed to be some of the best around. Everything from pulled pork to cheese, porchetta, and pizza are on the menu. The staff also goes a long way to make this place worth checking out. They are friendly, courteous, and professional.
Tel: +39 347 520 0337 • View on Map
7. Il Nutino • Borgo S. Lorenzo • $$
The environment, which is mellow and relaxing, is just as much a reason for II Nutino ending up on our list as their good food is. Quick and polite service, a relaxing environment, and a menu with plenty of classic Italian cuisine options are at your fingertips at this fine eatery. One thing to note however is that like in Spain, you may need to ask for the check. All things considered, II Nutino is a great choice, especially for couples. That said, the price is a bit steep (but worth it!)
Tel: +39 349 453 6035 • View on Map
8. Panini Toscani • del Duomo • $
For paninis and sandwiches, among other succulent Italian menu options, Panini Toscani comes extremely highly rated. These guys really know how to make a sandwich you will love. They even let you sample the cheese and bread if you’re not sure about it. The staff all understand and speak English, and the place is frequented by just as many locals as tourists which is why the prices are so affordable compared to other places in Florence.
Tel: +39 335 572 5544 • View on Map
9. Trattoria Zà Zà • Piazza del Mercato Centrale • $$
Along Piazza del Mercato Centrale lies Trattoria Za Za, an elaborate little Tuscan restaurant with true charm and Italian ambiance. Steak, fish, truffles, and just about anything else that could make your mouth water and be found in Italy is on the menu. And, for 40 euros a plate (give or take) you can only imagine how lovely these dishes are. Customers rave about the place and highly recommend setting up reservations for dinner. Again, couples specifically will find Trattoria Za Za more suitable than families or solos. Despite the high prices, the setting, staff, and food, make this restaurant one of the very best in the region.
Tel: +39 055 215411 • View on Map
10. Trattoria Sabatino • Pisana • $
An authentic Italian place that will make your tastebuds thank you later (for treating them to this tasty place) is Trattoria Sabatino. Not only is the food amazing, but the speed of service and quality is impressive as well, most dishes taking only 5 to 10 minutes. Authentic, affordable, Tuscan food and friendly staff who can translate the entire menu in English, and hold a conversation as well, are hard to find all together. And, this is exactly what you find at Trattoria Sabatino. Keep in mind that it is a highly sought after eating joint. So, either head there as soon as they open, or be sure to make reservations and show up on time.
Tel: +39 055 225955 • View on Map
11. SandwiChic • S. Gallo • $
Vegetarian? Vegan? Searching for a gluten-free menu amongst a sea of not so healthy food options? SandwiChic is a great option. That said, most of the sandwiches here do revolve around one or more types of cured meats. However, the menu is great for both meat eaters and veggie lovers and vegans alike. High-quality ingredients, good drinks, fast service from a friendly staff, and a sandwich you’ll never forget are all part of the SandwiChic experience. Oh, yeah, the prices are pretty dang awesome as well as far as eating in Florence goes.
Tel: +39 055 281157 • View on Map
12. Il Santo Bevitore • Santo Spirito • $$
High-quality food, a fun atmosphere, and plenty of selection are all part of the program at II Santo Bevitore. The menu is massive, and maybe a bit confusing on your first time ordering. However, the staff is totally patient and will help you get your order right the first time. They also have quite the wine selection for those looking to sip something Italian before, during, or after having a bite. That said, seating in the place gets a bit packed out so you may want to come earlier than later in the day. Fresh, delicious food, tasty wine, and friendly locals are all par for the course with lunch or dinner at II Santo Bevitore.
Tel: +39 055 211264 • View on Map
13. Le Cappelle medicee ristorante enoteca • del Canto dei Nellio • $$
Le Cappele medicee ristorante enoteca is yet another excellent eatery that comes highly recommended by tourists and locals alike. Known for stand-out service and amazing food, this restaurant also has a really laid back and enjoyable atmosphere as well. You will feel right at home here. For families or couples, look no further for a great place to grab a bite during your trip to Florence at least once or twice. From T-Bone steak and baked potatoes to cod in tomato soup, to a marvelous selection of fine wine, you’ll find it here (you’ll also pay a good price for it!)
Tel: +39 055 628 7005 • View on Map
14. Trattoria Sergio Gozzi • di San Lorenzo • $$
One of the highest recommended eateries in Florence to grab lunch, especially in the di San Lorenzo area, is Trattoria Sergio Gozzi. Locals and tourists alike rave about the awesome staff and impressive food as well as the comfortable atmosphere. However, the restaurant isn’t nearly as well known as other restaurants that’ve been around longer so it’s somewhat of a hidden treasure. Prices are moderate but well worth the high-end plates you receive. Italian with a blend of European favorites makes Trattoria Sergio Gozzi a great place for those who want more than just standard Italian cuisine for lunch.
Tel: +39 055 281941 • View on Map
15. Trattoria La Casalinga • dei Michelozzi • $$
Trattoria La Casalinga, situated in the dei Michelozzi neighborhood, is another moderately priced restaurant that locals and tourists alike find highly recommendable. Bright lights, a crowded room bursting with energy, locals and tourists mingling, and excellent food are all par for the course when dining at Trattoria La Casalingas. The restaurant is not exactly fancy-schmancy, but, you should consider making reservations anyhow just because of its immense popularity. When it comes to four-course meals, steaks, lobster, and more, Trattoria La Casalinga is supposedly one of the most affordable in Florence.
Tel: +39 055 218624 • View on Map